Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Daily Dorkgasm

You may have noticed I'm on a bit of a comic book kick. This is what happens when you find yourself in an empty comic book store for the first time in years. I don't mean there were no comics, oh no. I mean, just the staff and a TON of comics. So I was free to roam around and gaze at amazing art, and flip through graphic novels I loved and graphic novels I didn't even know existed. And the whole time, the lovely staff at Manhattan Comics on 23rd St between Madison Ave and 5th Ave helped me out and chatted about their favorite titles. I went back in for New Comic Book Day, and it was much more crowded that it had been at 1PM on a Tuesday, but needless to say, help and the welcoming atmosphere made me feel the warm fuzzies for comic books all over again.

And feeling warm fuzzies makes me go searching for the ends of the internet, of course.

That's how I stumbled upon this. Someone is selling EVERY comic book story written, or drawn, or both written and drawn by Carl Barks, from his first story in Donald Duck four color 9 (1942), "Donald Duck finds Pirate Gold," to his last to his last story in 1973, "Captains Outrageous," in Junior Woodchucks #25 on Ebay.

Who is Carl Barks? Well, his very clever nicknames, according to Wikipedia, included "The Duck Man" and "The Good Duck Artist." If that doesn't clarify absolutely anything, then I'll just tell you that he invented Uncle Scrooge McDuck and wrote a shit ton of comics starring him. His comics are very well loved, and had a devoted fan base who hunt down the classic goodies. Back to this Ebay auction...

It's a massive collection, and equally impressive is the novel detailed description of the entire collection and its history. If you've got $9,000.00 to spare, I'm guessing this collection could easily help pay for your future children's college educations in 20 years. Anyway, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's a more sound investment than stocking up on Beanie Babies. 

No comments: