Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Fan-gasm Friday

Know what I love? You're gonna judge me, and yes it has its ups and downs. But I love my Kindle. I'm not shelling. I just genuinely love it.

It's not something I would have ever purchased for myself. I, too, used to sneer at e-readers of all shapes and sizes. "What's wrong with books? Haven't you ever heard of the library?"

 Well, SHUT UP, old self! You can read library books on the Kindle! You can also download pretty much anything in the public domain for free, as well. I've read 40 novels this year, and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I can access the books I want to read as soon as I want.

My one gripe? You can't read comics on it. It's black and white. Images look meh on it. Comics aren't formatted for this sort of thing. Look at that screen. No, really, are you looking? Not a comic book. Le sigh...

BUT GUESS WHAT!!!!!!!

The Kindle, which I fan-gasm for, just sealed the deal with DC Comics to be the exclusive e-reader for their comics! How's it gonna work?? I'll tell you! The Kindle Fire, bitches! I start purring when I look at it. Faster, smaller, smarter, CHEAPER than the iPad!!! AND YOU CAN READ COMIC BOOKS ON IT!!!

Set back? Well, looks like my old friend Barnes & Noble is now pissed off at DC and will no longer carry any of their comics in their stores. I can acknowledge that this is a touch sad. However, I grew up in a tiny town in the middle of nowheresville. Population=itsy bitsy. And even us hicks in itsy bitsy land had a dedicated local comic book store. So part of me wonders, who actually buys comics at Barnes & Noble? I mean, if your town is big enough for a B&N, isn't it big enough for a comic book store or two?

That's all I got to say about it. Here's what the NY Times says.

No comments: