Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Haterade: Fictional Racial Slurs

Finally got around to watching Gran Torino this weekend. Turns out Clint Eastwood is the ultra-violent racist grandfather I never wanted or had. Anyway, he spewed so many ethnophaulisms I needed the help of The Racial Slur Database to fully comprehend the movie. Which got me thinking about scifi/fantasy. (Well fine, when am I not?) But this time it was mostly about the fictional words and contexts authors create to express racism in their universes. Here's a list of some I think are interesting.

For expressing racism against robots:

For expressing racism against the undead:
For expressing racism against genetically modified/different organisms:
For expressing racism against aliens:
For expressing racism against half-wizards, half-muggle people:
For expressing racism against humans:
For expressing racism against cartoons:
Are there any universes out there that non-homogenous and free from racism? Cause that would be cool.  Any interesting ones I missed above? Leave some haterade in the comments. I always thought when people called me a pizza bagel it was a compliment.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Skin job makes me think of circumcision. There. I said it.