Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Mugshot Mondays

I need a break from creepy serial killers, don't you?

So this week's Mugshot Monday is light-hearted. Consider it your chaser for last week's Chessboard Killer post.

Maxi Sopo, a Cameroon-born man living in Seattle, decided he was big stuff and fraudulently  gathered up over $200,000.00 in credit from various banks. He then took off to large it up in what he assumed was a secret tropical paradise.

Now, maybe it's just me, but if I were planning on committing some intense crime (or any crime for that matter), and then hiding from authorities, there are a few steps I would take. I've seen The Wire, so I would think through how police officers and detectives track people down. I'd probably tell my friends and family I was going somewhere that I totally wasn't go. I'd ditch my cellphone ASAP. I'd make sure I wasn't receiving bills anywhere close to my actual hiding place. I'd close up my email accounts, and maybe open a couple of fake ones to throw people off. And I would most definitely stop updating my Facebook status.

Maxi must not have seen The Wire. Tsk tsk.

So he was quickly taken into custody when he accepted a friend request from a justice department official and then proceeded to brag about how great Cancun was.

There's a lesson here for all of us. It's not, "don't commit bank fraud." It's "with great power comes great responsibility. Use your social media for good."

And seriously, people. Think before you post. If you Google "Facebook leads to arrest" you get over 23 million results.

No comments: